Victorian Building Authority changes effective 1 September 2016
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) will be rolling out major changes in relation to Victorian Domestic Building Contracts Legislation effective 1 September 2016.
How will these changes impact building a swimming pool?
According to the VBA and Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) websites, a domestic swimming pool purchased from 1 September 2016, the following will apply:
- A registered building practitioner (your chosen pool builder) must provide you with a copy of the Domestic Building Consumer Guide – with enough time to read and understand it and the contract - before you sign a major domestic building contract (i.e. the swimming pool contract)
- The Domestic Building Contracts Checklist must be included in major domestic building contracts
- A registered building practitioner (your chosen pool builder) who enters into a major domestic building contract (i.e. swimming pool contract), must not appoint a private building surveyor on your behalf. A registered building practitioner may recommend a private building surveyor, but you are free to appoint a private building surveyor of your choice.
- An owner-builder will not be able to enter into a contract with a person to carry out work over $5,000 unless that person is a registered building practitioner.
As registered building practitioner and a Swimming Pool and Spa Association Victoria (SPASA VIC) member, we encourage you to talk with your chosen pool builder to ensure your swimming pool project complies with the VBA’s Victorian Domestic Building Contracts Legislation changes effective 1 September 2016. Please note, the listed changes are not applicable to any swimming pool project sold prior to 1 September 2016.
Further information can also be found at:
- VBA Website: http://www.vba.vic.gov.au
- Consumer Affairs Victoria – Domestic Building Contracts Checklist & Doemstic Building Consumer Guide: https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing-and-accommodation/building-and-renovating/plan-and-manage-your-building-project/domestic-building-consumer-guide
- SPASA VIC Website: http://www.spasavic.com.au